Wednesday 15 November 2017

Watercooler Wednesday Challenge #145 - Judy's Masculine "Anything Goes" Challenge


I love masculine challenges, don't you?  This one which Judy is hosting comes along at a perfect time.  It's my husband's birthday at the end of this month and now I have his card all ready for the big day.  Bonus!


My husband is not just an avid fly fisherman.  He ties his own flies.  He has books and magazines stacked everywhere and don't get me started on all the bins and boxes and drawers full of product.  Hmmm!  Change that to paper-crafting and I could be describing my own obsession.

I've used a retired Stampin' Up! fly tying stamp set too often.  When I came across a fly-tying/fishing stamp set as I rummaged through the products in a crafting shop, I was ecstatic.  Finally, some new images for his cards.  This set is by Inky Antics.  For my sentiments, however, I turned to two of my Stampin' Up! sets, Birthday Celebration and Guy Greetings.

I began with a base of Soft Suede.  For my next layer I used an image from the Wood Textures Designer Series paper stack.  After cutting it to size, I used my square framelit to cut four "window panes".  Next I stamped the image of the boat at the dock onto a square of Whisper White.  While that dried I took a scrap of Whisper White and stamped the fishing bag and the hat.  Then I coloured all the images using my Stampin' Blends.  I attached the scene behind the "window panes" and then used my Fast Fuze to attach the finished piece to the base.  I fussy cut the fishing bag and hat and mounted them to the card on dimensionals. 

For the banner across the top of the window, I used a piece of Soft Suede and heat embossed the "Congratulations" from the Guy Greetings using White embossing powder.  After attaching that with Dimensionals, I stamped the greeting from the Birthday Delivery set in the lower right corner using black Memento ink.


For the inside of the card I continued the theme but kept it simpler.  I stamped the fishing rod and fish on a piece of Whisper White and decided to keep the colours muted by using my Watercolour pencils.  Then I gave up finding just the right greeting and hand-printed my own, taking the liberty to play with the word fishin'.  After attaching the piece to the inside of the base, my card was done.


I hope you'll check out the wonderful cards created by the other Watercooler Artists at our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge.  You have until 5 p.m. Mountain Time on Monday, November 20th to link up a card to share with us.

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect card for a fly tying fishing kind of guy! You've set the perfect scene using the window frame over looking the dock. Once he picks up that bag and hat he knows he's in heaven for the day. Great card, great stamps. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.