Tuesday 19 September 2017

Playing with my food!

When I was little I remember being told time and again not to play with my food.  Then came adulthood and I remember telling my daughter time and again not to play with her food.  Well no one is getting after me any longer and I don't have to be a role model for my daughter any longer.  Time to begin playing with my food again.

If you've been following my Instagram account or read my personal Facebook page, you know how exciting this year has been for me since I've been growing a few vegetables in my little (very little) garden.  A few of those vegetables have been beets and yesterday I pulled a few and cooked them in their skins.  Once I could insert a knife point into them I poured off the water and commenced pulling off the skins.  I had quite the pile and was about to toss them in the garbage when the thought passed through my head that they would make the prettiest colour of ink.  Dangerous thought.  Of course I had to act on it.

So I grabbed a couple of small pieces of Glossy cardstock and "smooshed" some peelings onto them.  Once dry, the resulting colour was every bit as wonderful as I had imagined and the designs on the Glossy cardstock reminded me of the designs I have gotten from the Distress Oxide inks.  Of course that led to another brilliant idea.  I took my Broken China Oxide ink pad, smooshed it onto a piece of plastic, added a light spray of water and proceeded to add some to the Glossy cardstock.  I absolutely loved the results after using my heat gun to get everything dried.  Adding a few splattered droplets of Fossilized Amber Oxide ink, I dried the pieces and put them aside.

Today I used one of the pieces.  Like I said, they were small pieces of Glossy cardstock so I wanted an image that was in keeping with the size.  The Artistically Asian was perfect and so I stamped the bamboo image as well as the Asian characters onto the piece using Basic Black pigment ink.  That took a while to dry.  In the meantime I pulled out some colours of cardstock to compliment the colours on the Glossy cardstock and wound up with the new In-Color Berry Burst and one of the Bright family, Bermuda Bay.  For my base I turned to the Heavy Very Vanilla and as a matte around the Glossy cardstock, I used Basic Black cardstock.


After assembling the card, I heat embossed the sentiment from the Dragonfly Dreams set at the bottom using White embossing powder.

I'm entering this card into the Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge.

I'm also entering it into the Simon Says Wednesday Challenge.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so pretty! Wonderful take on the inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bg you created - such a gorgeous mix of the focal colours. Lovely card! Thanks for joining us at The Curtain Call.

    ReplyDelete

GDPR (for my EU visitors)

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) coming to the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.